Welcome Pastor Miller!
CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH NALC / LCMC
February 9, 2021
Greetings Brothers and Sisters in Christ!
It is a joy and privilege to begin the Interim Ministry process with you of Christ Lutheran Church. I much look forward to meeting many of you and to hearing your stories about CLC’s history and your hopes for CLC’s future. I have been blessed to minister in over 30 countries in the past 7 years. (You will hear stories arising from many of those trips.)
A good and productive Interim can begin during any liturgical season, this particular one launched just as we delve into the season of Lent. Enclosed, you will find a daily journal which I invite you to use throughout Lent and Holy Week. We will be worshipping, studying, and reflecting on the books of Jonah and Nahum. Our Lenten midweek worship services will contemplate these themes. I will be teaching a class (with video to be accessible from the church website) to provide an overview of these two Old Testament prophets. The initial color pages of the journal are notes for that class. The color pages at the end describe the ministries that sponsored JoNahum – but please ignore the fund appeal on the last page. This congregation will have an opportunity to participate in a ChurchTech Institute project in the summer, but this is NOT a fundraising project.
There are many nice things that congregations can do, but our ultimate impact and legacy derives from our engagement with the Great Commandment and the Great Commission. You have heard these many times in the life of the Church. You will hear them more in the coming year:
• The Great Commandment : “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. - Matthew 22:36-40
• The Great Commission: Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. - Matthew 28:18-20
On the reverse page, you will find some basic information about the temporary shepherd of your flock.
Who is The Rev. Dr. Brad Miller?
• Married 31 years to The Rev. Pamela Schroeder (currently serving Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Ankeny, IA).
• Father to Emily (29) and Byron (26).
• 25+ years of parish experience, including: redevelopment, church construction, church-planting, and satellite-sending.
• Intentional interim experience including: long-tenure retirement, pastoral death, financial misconduct, severe conflict, change of polity, staffing reconfiguration, and more.
• Author of:
o Church Health and Growth Primer
o What Kind of Tractor Is Your Church?
o The Servant Leader Small Catechism
o ChurchTech Guide to Interim Ministry
• Missions work in: India, Iraq, Kenya, Ethiopia, Mali, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Israel, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, China, Mongolia, Uganda, Tanzania, New Zealand, Australia, Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica —plus USA, Canada, and Europe.
• Developer of the Glass Cockpit church assessment tool and the new ChurchTech Fruitbearing Congregation Health Assessment.
• Enjoys: hunting, fishing, pretending to properly use tools, and visiting Civil War battlefields.
May God bless us all to rightly contemplate His holy words as we live, discern, plan, and prepare in the year ahead.
In Christ’s Service,